Monday, November 27, 2017

A royal engagement! What fun! In the BBC interview on the news just now, she came across as very intelligent, and he, at least, as besotted. I look forward to reading all about her tomorrow – and I’m sure she’s up to it. It sounds as if Prince Harry has prepared her well for the horrors of royal life.

I’ve reached halfway on the third side of the shawl edging. If I knit any more this evening, it’ll have to be on the Soutache. I’m encouraged at how well things are going – most of the time – but alarmed to think how much lace-weight yarn remains to be knitted. This first ball will clearly see me and the edging all the way around – and there are seven more balls to come.

Knitalot, thank you for your comment. Somewhere – I can’t place it mentally, just now – I’ve heard about starching lace. I’m not tempted. Anyway, this shawl – like the one I knit for Orla K. (above) last year – is meant to be a shawl for using, not for “best”. A wrap-the-baby-up-and-take-it-to-the-pub-for-lunch sort of shawl.

I discovered last night (wandering aimlessly around cyber-space before going to bed, as often) that the Twist Collective is back with us. There had been a gap. They’ve now teamed up with Webs, and we are promised issues every other month, starting in January. I haven’t finished inspecting the new issue, but I can tell you that the photography is as good as ever.

Completely non-knit – kitchen-related

I’ve been reading about these modern kitchen taps which deliver boiling water, as a possible solution if I go the whole hog and install a new Aga which doesn’t heat water.

When I was fairly new-married, I once made tea for my husband using water from the hot tap, then brought to the boil in the kettle. He wasn’t in the room when I did it, but as soon as he tasted it, he said, “Did you make this with water from the hot tap?”

I never did it again. (And I never became a tea-drinker.)


Presumably the distinction is that tea must be made with water fresh from the mains supply, not water that has been standing around in a tank. If so, how do these fancy modern tap people get around the problem? The tanks in question are clearly rather small, not much bigger than a kettle. But the water must, nevertheless, have been standing around. May, even, have been held at heat, which sounds even worse.

I'd be glad of your comments.

16 comments:

  1. When I had my kitchen transformed a few years back, I rejected the option of one of those supposedly boiling water taps. My palate is not as nice as your husbands, but I still think that water doesn't make good tea.

    Carla-in-Bethesda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol M8:12 PM

    I've burned myself several times on a hot tap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. skeindalous9:59 PM

    Supposedly, the issue with the hot water from the tap is that the oxygen has been driven out, as gas, by being held at a high temperature.

    Cold water can hold more dissolved oxygen, which, if brought to a rapid boil, remains to help with the tea.

    So I hear...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's always been my impression - the oxygen content.

      Delete
    2. Also why you are not supposed to microwave water for tea. Water just brought to a boil is supposed to make the best tasting tea. :)

      Delete
    3. You can superheat water in the microwave; it doesn't look as though it has boiled, but touch or jiggle the container and it explodes at you. It certainly did that at me and I was lucky not to get burned. I think this only happens with a small amount of water and nothing else mixed with it. Made me a bit wary.

      Delete
  4. My mom has one and I'm not sure how they work but I made my tea there and it tasted good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drink iced tea constantly and it's better if the water is cold before boiling and the tea is not chilled to rapidly. I make it and allow it to come down to room temperature before adding ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's called an 'instant hot' because the water is cold until you turn on the tap. Cold water flows through the element which instantly heats the water. Perfect for that ONE cup of soup, coffee, cocoa, tea or instant noodles. I can't tell the difference myself - some people say they can't live without it. House sized units are available to take the place of the hot water tank too. Very cheap to operate, I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in the US boiling water out of a tap is prohibited by building codes (at least in the places I've lived) because it's very dangerous. Lots of serious burns of small people or inattentive grownups. But the best tea/coffee in my opinion is always made with fresh cold water heated in a kettle. Hot water from the kitchen tap is for dishwashing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I don't know the science of it but for some reason I can tolerate a vast range of coffee quality, whereas with tea, on the rare occasions that I drink it, has to be 'perfect' or else it tastes like dishwater. As for Harry's 'intended' she apparently has had a Catholic education, no small matter. Those nuns will take you by the scruff of your neck and deliver you back to your parents 8-12 years later, prepared to meet the world with broad knowledge, organized thinking, and perfect spelling ability -- whether you like it or not. I think as a non-Briton,
    it will stand her in good stead. Chloe. P.S. I realize that nuns are precious few any more , but I think the bulk of their legacy lives on, particularly the "whether you like it or not'" part.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That family has been trying to marry divorced people for the better part of 100 years. Finally one is succeeding--despite (or maybe because of?) Henry the VIII. I'm afraid I can't contribute anything to the hot water topic, but I will say that I now have an even greater understanding of why UK real estate ads always mention the Aga, if the house has one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will laugh at me, but after all this discussion about an "Aga," I finally realized it is (1) about a stove/oven and (2) that while watching the Two Fat Ladies' show in the '90s, this is the thing to which they were referring when placing dishes into the oven, not an "Augur," LOL! Is it a brand name - as we would say "Kleenex" instead of tissue? Please don't laugh too hard....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. elginknitter9:02 PM

      Yes, Aga is a brand name.

      Delete
    2. Thank you and please pardon my ignorance!

      Delete
  11. Tea most definitely needs to be made with water brought freshly just to the boil. I will devote today's blog post to the matter!

    ReplyDelete