Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I'm getting on fine:



The pattern as written (link yesterday) has quite substantial gauntlets, as separate items, nearly up to the elbow. I don’t want that, so I have done a very small sample of the gauntlet striping – which is the same as the yoke striping to come – just above the wrist ribbing.

I am very pleased with the result, so far, and slightly surprised that so few people on Ravelry seem to have done it this way. Although of course some.

I am nearly finished with another skein of the main colour, as you can see. I think I’ve got plenty, as the yoke – which starts as soon as the sleeves are latched on -- uses virtually none. I refuse to worry.

I have a demon cleaning woman, a Romanian whom Helen got to know in Athens. I’ve probably mentioned her before. She and her husband and son have with huge courage translocated to Edinburgh and work all the hours God sends. She and Helen communicate in Greek, but her English is improving by leaps and bounds. She and I have even managed a telephone conversation. Today we purged the stash cupboard, which had acquired a distressing amount of clutter since its previous purge. Feels good.

Non-knit


Tamar, you’re absolutely right (as ever) – I need to know how to ask the way to the ladies’ room in Italian. I’ve looked it up, since I read your comment, and will check with my tutor on Saturday. Before we go to Palermo, I must acquire one of those small but enormously useful little language books.

5 comments:

  1. If you have a smartphone, there are apps that will help you with the translating. You can speak in English into the phone and it will repeat what you said in Italian. I have a friend that had a lot of success in China with such an app. Here is a link to a review of some different ones in case you want to check them out http://www.fluentu.com/blog/italian/italian-translator-app/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can ask the way to the ladies' room - but understanding the reply is another thing. I do admire your determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:20 AM

    I've found 'Dov'e la toilette delle signore' works. And I'd try to get hold of BBC audio tapes/cds such as Italianissimo which you can listen to whilst knitting.
    I so admire your energy! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:41 AM

    What beautiful rich colors. Looks like you are getting to the best part. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:05 PM

    I love what you r doing with the sweater....making the design on the sleeves shorter is an attractive personalization. Can hardly wait to see it ompleted. pgnitter

    ReplyDelete