Thursday, March 02, 2017

Here it is, and you must agree that it looks rather wee:



I very much hope that I will get it blocked tomorrow morning. The day often starts rather slowly, waiting for my husband’s carers to come and help him get up. There might be time then, when I am at my liveliest anyway.

The shawl was finished this morning, leaving behind it the problem of what to knit for the rest of the day, once I had decided that there wasn’t time to block it on the spot. The half-brioche sweater was at a highly vulnerable stage, laid aside long enough that I had forgotten its little ways; enough remaining to be done that it was a slightly daunting prospect. And other knitterly delights were now occupying my mind.

Thus do projects gather momentum on the slippery slope to UFO-dom.

However, I picked it up and resumed it, and all went reasonably well. I made substantial progress on the second sleeve. After that, there will be a lot of sewing-together and a neck placket to which I think I might add a collar.

I printed out my e-ticket for my EYF class and put it carefully in the bag I mean to carry that day. I have had a detailed and comforting message from them, with a map, about how to find the back door which will admit class attenders to the market an hour early. And they also addressed my next question – do I have to go somewhere first to get an armband? And, if so, where? Or can I get in on the e-ticket? The answer is, the latter.

I am most fortunate that Hazel Tindall’s class is in the Corn Exchange. So I ought to have a generous half-hour in the market beforehand, plus as much as I have strength for afterwards.

Shandy, you’re right that I could pretty well wing it with the Fair Isle vest by now. Except that after reading the Feral Knitter and Knitsonik, I am actually enthused with the idea of swatching to practice moving colours around and seeing how they work with each other. And, Lisa, I got the Shetlander’s Fair Isle Graph Book out and it’s even better than I remembered. Thanks for reminding me.

Non-knit

James is coming to see us tomorrow, leaving on Sunday. So I’ll be away until then.

10 comments:

  1. skeindalous10:44 PM

    Blocking will expand it to a satisfying extent. Fear not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that shawl! The grey is beautiful and I know it will block out wonderfully! Very nice work, Jean, the baby and parents will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Charlotte wrote: Terrific.
    E.BWhite recorded Charlotte's Web and when he got to the saddest part he cried: again and again. Or so I heard on public radio. So sweet, as is your Shawl/blankie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:38 AM

    Enjoy your weekend!
    The shawl is stellar.
    Yes definitely send congratulations to Helen - a mosaic conference sounds perfect!

    Good to know that the Fair Isle graph book is so useful. I look forward to seeing your ideas.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawl is looking good. I do lke the colour. Wishing you a nice early opportunity for the magic of blocking.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing !!! It will be gorgeous and a wonderful heirloom for baby and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! The magic of blocking will make it the right size, I am sure. I do love the color. Now I must see if I, in fact, do have Shetlander’s Fair Isle Graph Book. It seems I bought it, but maybe I just thought about it. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shawl!
    I, too, think it will grow to a perfect size. Congrats to Helen, enjoy your visit with James!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be lovely to see the lace open and bloom in blocking. I do admire your self-discipline in returning to that stalled project. I'd have been casting on something new by now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:12 PM

    Beautiful shawl. Beautiful gray. Lovely, lovely pattern. I wish it was mine - and I don't ever say that about shawls. Something about the shape and construction. If I were younger with better eyesight I might have a go at a Shetland shawl. Just so pleasing. Chloe

    ReplyDelete