Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Again, not much. I have embarked on the twelfth repeat (of fourteen) of the centre pattern of Mrs Hunter’s shawl, but have done no more counting of the stitches remaining to be consumed.

I have spent some more time thinking about patterns for which I might seek yarn at the EYF. Still too many – the shorter Ancasta, from Laine; Nancy’s vest, from Carol Sunday; Nila, over there on Brooklyn Tweed. We’ve agreed that it would look ridiculous on me on Broughton Street, and wouldn’t keep the chest warm, but I keep being drawn back to it. Perhaps I should put the idea out to daughters, daughters-in-law and granddaughters and see if anyone’s interested.

I had an email from EYF today, full of do-this, do-this, do-that. I’ll have to let it simmer for awhile. I still don’t know how to go around the back and get into the market early on Friday the 10th of March – a perk for class attenders. It sounds as if my class with Hazel Tindall might be in the Corn Exchange itself that morning; good news. I’ll have to work it all out soon, and plan my attack, and print my ticket.

I was very interested in your comment, Joni, about how your DFW Fiber Fest chooses vendors. The great thing, obviously, is to be a Successful Event, so that they have to come to you. The EYF seems to have achieved that status rather quickly. And, Maureen, what you say about Amy Detjen having to submit a proposal for a class and then being accepted, fits right in. I think I had always assumed that organizers of such events invited the teachers they wanted.

Non-knit


Alexander came to see us this morning, as often on a Wednesday. We talked sadly of who might captain Scotland on Saturday (when we play Wales, here at Murrayfield) and who might play scrum half. It was no use even trying to talk about who could kick for goal. They – the Loch Fyne Mileses – are coming over on Saturday, as often. We’ll see them before the match. 

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:07 PM

    How about Walk the
    Cumbria Way cardigan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy's Vest would be contemplative knitting and what a lovely and useful garment! On my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were lots of volunteers (not to mention lots of knitters) at EYF last year to show the way to the back door for early admission so please don't let it be something to worry you. I'm very much enjoying planning the vendors I'm going to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. skeindalous12:56 PM

    I, too, like the Nila. although it would look ridiculous on me!I have found though that BT patterns are lovely and a pleasure to knit....but they only truly work with the BT yarn. the lofty-ness of it is hard to duplicate with any other line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:58 PM

    I certainly see the appeal of Shaker rib and the gorgeous yarn that Nila highlights. What puzzles me about the pattern though is the combination of open flapped front and turtleneck. Could the flaps have buttons, so it could be closed when the wind blows? Could it have a different neckline? In lieu of the turtleneck, could you make a cowl of the same yarn and wear it with a modified-neckline-Nila?
    Lots of questions requiring some thought here. Hopefully you will find them useful.
    cheers,
    ckp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =Tamar8:42 PM

      Nila looks to me like something a breast-feeding mother might like in cool weather. It might be a nice gift. On the other hand, the model is holding the edges back; maybe it closes more than it seems to.

      Delete
  6. Not that Nila would look ridiculous, just impractical. To my eye, anyway.

    ReplyDelete