Friday, March 18, 2016

I’ve never seen anything like it (the EYF market) – and I’ve even been to a Stitches market in my time.

There were, I think, hundreds of people queuing down the street and around the corner when I arrived at opening time – with dozens more forming up behind me before we all got in. Not that a crowd necessarily makes a good market.

I think I expected the best of Scottish yarn, with a generous admixture from the rest of Britain. It was much more than that. A real I-must-have-died-and-gone-to-heaven experience of beautiful yarns, a very high proportion home-grown from small producers, but another substantial tranche from further afield. Unbelievable. I didn’t even get all the way around.

I had set out with four patterns – the two shawl patterns you gave me, Mary Lou; the Cameo Flower from Knitty; and Carol Feller’s capelet from IK. I spent a great deal of money and bought yarn specifically for each pattern -- from (in no particular order) Old Maiden Aunt, Nature’s Luxury (they’re German), Whistlebare (Northumberland) and Skein Queen. Yarns and patterns will now be carefully stashed together.

That should last the rest of my life without much difficulty, given that I still have the madtosh here for my half-brioche vertically-striped sweater, Whiskey Barrel and Roast Hatch Chillies. And all that madtosh Tannehill about to arrive from CT. Wealth beyond the dreams of avarice.

And I saw Kate Davies who swept me off to the room the organizers had allowed her for sitting down in (very welcome). Tom came in and out, wearing his Macrihanish which looked extremely smart and fit rather well. She introduced him as “my husband” and I thought that perhaps the words were still a bit new and strange on her tongue. He was carrying bin after bin of her new Buachaille yarn to the booth for sale.

Felicity Ford was there, the author of the wonderful “Knitsonik Stranded Colourwork Sourcebook”, getting ready for the class she was about to teach in the afternoon. This all begins to sound a bit like a dream sequence.

Their van had broken down on the motorway earlier in the morning. Bruce, I gather, had been left in charge of it, to deal with the garage.

I doubt if I will achieve Woolly Wormhead tomorrow – there are too many little-things-which-have-got-to-be-done to make it very likely that I can be ready to ring for a taxi by 9:30. I’ll try. I’ll get up early and do as much as can be done by myself. The rest depends on carers – a new one will have to be instructed on the mysteries of my husband’s breakfast and lunch; and someone will have to be here when I nip out to the corner shop.


But even if WW proves impossible, I can (and will) go back to the market for a while. Dangerous, I know…

11 comments:

  1. Sounds totally fabulous! I envy you all the experiences, especially Kate Davies sweeping you away. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:40 PM

    I am so glad to hear you've had 2 wonderful days at EYF. It all sounds so very wonderful. I do hope you make it to your hat class tomorrow.

    My only worry is that you have now been ruined for Rhinebeck, with enough yarn and enough rubbing shoulders with celebrities to make Rhinebeck anticlimactic, redundant even. Maybe Rhinebeck wins a few points back only because there are actual sheep there....

    Have fun tomorrow, in class and/or in the market.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there and I did keep an ete out for you as I went round, but you were obviously too occupied with the top table folk. ;) Either that or I was too deep in the fibre bins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I'm more than a bit envious! What a wonderful experience. I've had my eye on the Whistlebare sock yarn. Is that the one you bought? I'm so glad you got to meet up with Kate, and that you had such a great time. I hope you make it to Woolly Wormed tomorrow. Her hats are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolly Wormhead. Credit for wrong spelling goes to auto-correct. :-)

      Delete
  5. What a day. Hope you there on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was marvellous wasn't it? So. Much. Yarn!

    I spent a happy hour or two circling the stalls, and eventually blew my budget on yarn and patterns from Ysolda, Skein Queen and Wollmeise.

    The thing that astounded me were the number of German speakers! It seems that lots of people have travelled a long way to this event, and we are lucky enough to have it on our doorstep :-)

    I saw Tom but no Kate at the KDD stall, And then Stephen West (impossible to miss in his spectacular outfit!) and Ysolda.

    I hope you make it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful day! I do hope you get back today again, even if not for the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Very glad to see this report.
    And now your readers can look forward to photos of your new knitting projects.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:41 PM

    How lovely! So glad you were able to escape to a quiet corner with Kate Davies. Thanks for allowing us to share vicariously.
    - Beth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete