Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Here are the pics of Rams&Yowes. Yes, knitting08816, I could probably improve the side, steeked, edges, and strengthen them while I'm at it, with a crochet hook. But I have reached and indeed passed the That'll-have-to-do stage. All I'm going to do is to wrap it up.




I'm worrying away about how the Unst Bridal Shawl will look when I pin it out for blocking. Its history has been exciting. As I remember it, the centre is OK, the pick-up for the borders to be knit outwards didn't go smoothly, there was that episode when the needle broke and 30 or 40 stitches shot off into space, the problem of the Messy Corner was never solved...

Hazel Carter says that blocking makes one acutely aware of such issues but that nobody else will notice. I'm not entirely sure. I sent the original edging off to Hellie yesterday, unblocked, explaining that it would serve only to let her and her dressmaker know the exact shade of whiteness of the yarn. I think it's more what the House of Bruar calls “winter white”.

If the yarn for Archie's sweater doesn't turn up in the next couple of days, I shall begin to worry. I need it. I am perfectly happy with the edging of the Unst Bridal Shawl and must keep at it, with the aim, perhaps, of finishing early in the New Year. The original edging took me just over a month. Have I deteriorated that much in 2014? It's a pretty easy 12-row pattern but I find even so that I don't entirely trust myself with it late in the evening when I am seriously tired. Two repeats of the edging pattern and then switch-to-Archie would make better use of time.

I must make an educated estimate of how many repeats remain and of, therefore, how long it will take at two-a-day.

Meanwhile I could cast on the Northmavine Hap...

Non-knit

Rachel phoned last night and extended an invitation from Thomas to his eve-of-wedding supper party. It's not a Rehearsal Dinner – I don't think we have them yet. I remember that my husband's sister was profoundly baffled by the phrase when I got back from Theo and Jenni's wedding five years ago and tried to describe to her their wonderful one. This one will be Thomas' immediate family and best man and ushers – plus Alexander and Ketki, to supervise the Little Boys who will somehow figure in the wedding; and me.

Rachel said that Lucy has threatened to intervene if the party becomes too raucous or prolonged.

It will be held at Middleton Lodge. We seem to have the whole place for the whole weekend – perhaps that's how it's always done. I accepted with alacrity, not least because I will be able to slip away and go to bed early, a rare treat last enjoyed at Burrastow.

Meanwhile everybody else – Greek Helen and her family, sister Helen and hers, James's family except for James, will be making merry somewhere else, the Salon des Refuses. I am sure they will have a jolly time too, all the better for being a bit more relaxed, but if I had joined them I would have had to be driven back to Middleton Lodge, or put in a taxi. It's better to be able to walk to bed.


I've got to write an essay on patriculture for James. I mustn't leave that too late.

11 comments:

  1. Patriculture sounds like I am growing myself a father. My mother always said that parents were very hard to raise. The pre-wedding festivities sound like fun, and extra-relaxing because you can take yourself off when you want to. R and E looks wonderful from here. And it will be tucked around the baby, no one will notice a wavy edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Oh how I love those natural Shetland colours....the promise of the Jamieson and Smith stand may be enough to lure me to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Harrogate next month!!! Are they also Shetland Sheep in your Blog home page photograph Jean?
    Jan, North Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blanket is beautiful. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Rams and Yowes looks every bit as wonderful as the one we saw on display that day at J&S! And I think Hazel Carter is right. It would take a trained eye to pick up on any mistakes in the Unst shawl. Since the chances of her getting married in Shetland are slim, you are probably safe from such scrutiny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Rams and Yowes is brilliant it not only passes the galloping horse test, it sweeps by the experienced knitter test. Baby James will treasure it forever. I don't see a wavy edge. If there is one, it will surely disappear when it is washed and blocked.

    Have a wonderful time at the wedding. 'Patriculture' - the perfect word

    ReplyDelete
  6. csj04233:45 PM

    No one is ever as hard on us as we are on ourselves. The blanket is simply stunning. I think you should be very proud of it and all that you put in to it. I am sure Ted and his family will be more than thrilled to have such an instant heirloom,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Patriculture - growing myself a father is a fun on-the-face-of-it definition indeed. "Patricultural" meant something in my long-ago anthropology studies but I'm one of those, Jean, who will need some help on your meaning. Rams and Yowes looks absolutely beautiful, the colour shadings are entrancing.
    - Beth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rams and Yowes is lovely! Has it had its day in the freezer? What a relief to have it ready to wrap, well ahead of your deadline. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo! I'm sure any imperfections - and they're far from obvious to me - will only add to it, as unique features.
    I'm guessing that patriculture is care-and-feeding of James' father, for use while you are off enjoying yourself at the Wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:35 PM

    What a lovely blanket indeed! Congratulations - the baby will hopefully lug it off to university with him.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  11. =Tamar9:00 PM

    What a beautiful blanket! Also, what a sensible design - dark edges (against the inevitable trailing in dust as baby carries his favorite around), with a complex center to fascinate the eye.

    ReplyDelete