Thursday, January 13, 2011

Two from Helen:

1) http://flashfabrica.com/f_learning/brain/brain.html

Procedure of this Game:
1. Touch 'start'
2. Wait for 3, 2, 1.
3. Memorize the numbers’ position on the screen, then click the circle from the smallest number to the biggest number.
4. At the end of game, computer will tell you how old your brain is.

I’m somewhere in my 30’s. Helen says her early-teenaged, computer-savvy sons are about the same. Perhaps you have to be Bill Gates to have a 25-year-old brain.

2) http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/. It’s supposed to produce recipes for leftovers. It’s down for maintenance, it says, until later this morning, when I will try it on haggis.

Knitting

I’m getting on with the cowl, and enjoying it, but still finding it tough going. The decreases and increases are not always paired, to begin with – sometimes to the extent that the stitch count has changed by the end of the row. And one is not just lace-ing on a garter stitch or st st background: knits and purls have also to be considered.

(It looks much nicer than that -- early-morning flash photography doesn't come anywhere near doing it justice.)

At least I’m grown-up enough now to take hold of a problem in lace and shake it like a dog with a rat. I can remember – embarrassingly recently in the history of things – when I would realize I had gone wrong and think, well, OK, it’ll be right from here on. Now I can at least discover a missing YO, which is easily replaced in the next row, or a stitch-too-many, which can be inconspicuously decreased if you do it in the right place.

And knitting with Koigu is wonderful.

The printer is meant to be delivered today – pinning me to the spot, until it turns up. If all goes well, perhaps I’ll initiate it into its new responsibilities by downloading the Christopher hat pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Well, blimey - it seems my brain is 23. (But my brain is really 37.) I am out of all proportion proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar3:08 AM

    Wow. 22. Must be second childhood.

    ReplyDelete