Sunday, January 02, 2011

My dears – and especially Gail – Franklin wrote to me personally to tell me about that podcast.

I have been having flu since Thursday – the New Year wouldn’t be complete without it. My husband and I have had our protective injections, and I guess it was fairly mild as a result. I am now better, but not well. Fortunately the house party in Strathardle broke up that day, and Greek Helen was here to cook and run errands. I often fret about how little I get done in a day, but the difference between that and being able to do nothing turns out to be profound.

When my turn comes for colon cancer, our children will be fully employed looking after their father.

But at least this morning I have replied to Franklin in terms of extravagant affection; listened to the podcast; and downloaded it for transfer to my MP3 player, for use when I resume my morning walks in Drummond Place Gardens. I don’t remember warning Franklin against sheep-keeping, but I can say, as a Perthshire vegetable gardener, that sheep are more destructive than rabbits and deer combined, and as insolent as cabbage white caterpillars. So I might have done.

We continue to struggle back towards the surface.

The Greeks left for Athens yesterday.

I have finished Cathy’s socks except for Kitchener’ing the second of them. I have watched the beginning of Meg’s Round-the-Bend DVD and am ready to resume work on that.

5 comments:

  1. Going in to the New Year famous should help with the flu! Best wishes for a healthy 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Oh my goodness! A personal note from Franklin! Did your heart not flutter?

    So sorry to hear about the flu, but glad there were reinforcements available. Hope things are on the upswing now.

    Beverly

    PS. Glad you're back. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the flu... I had the H1N1 last fall and and I had 5 days of a fever over 103. I remember the days being a haze of pain and fever and only survived because my neighbors (a nurse and an air force medic) kept close watch on me and brought me an endless supply of ginger ale and canned soup.

    I hope you get well soon. The flu is scary at any age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. The dreaded flu and you had your flu shots. Hmm.
    I missed the reference to a podcast - must go check it out.
    Glad you are feeling better. Take it easy but keep those needles clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail (nosenabook)4:08 PM

    Dear Jean,
    I do not think Franklin tells a story the same way twice but he tells good stories so who cares.
    It was a great interview.

    And I was delighted to hear another name I knew! (Of course you would have advised him against getting a miniature sheep, look how Dolores turned out.)

    How nice Franklin let you know to listen. My advice is to listen to all the Fiber Beat podcasts if you have the time and patience.

    I hope the mention cheered you on your bed of misery, and that you are feeling better now.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete