Saturday, October 30, 2010

We had a nice walk. The weather wasn’t what you’d call good, but far less abominable than predicted and we were both glad that we had forged stoutly ahead with our plans. We walked for a couple of hours near an Edinburgh city reservoir in the Pentland hills. Now I know where the Pentlands are.

In the evening Amedro finally leapt ahead – I should finish the main patterning this evening. Next comes the top edging, and I may well find that picking up stitches from that dark yarn is a task requiring natural light, and leave it for tomorrow. We shall see.

Knitting, miscellaneous

Someone wrote to me the other day about the “cul-de-sac” pattern. She had lost the last page, she said, and needed to know how many stitches to pick up for the edging. Could I help? I didn’t think I had ever heard of the pattern, let alone knit it, but I Google’d in case senility was affecting the memory.

It’s a Lavold pattern, a seriously nice one. It was published in Knitter’s, so I must in fact have seen it before and could even have tried to dig it out from the pile and help the poor woman. I sent her off instead to another blogger who had actually knit it. The last thing I need is another addition to the HALFPINT list, but it’s one to remember.

Franklin has had some patterns published, throwing his groupies into a tizzy. One is a book cover – beautiful, yes, but useful? – in Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2010. I bought last year’s issue for a lot of money, and regretted it. The other is a lace stole, based on Jackie Kennedy’s wedding veil, in a book called “Modern Knits, Vintage Style”. His first pattern in a printed book. He is deservedly proud of it. It’s knit in Lorna’s Laces Helen’s Lace, too, one of my faves, well represented in stash.

But absolutely the sort of book I don’t buy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Jean, I just bought the new holiday knits magazine, and had the same reaction. Why did I spend money on that.... it was an impulse buy at the register, and I never even looked at the price, just assumed it would be $5.99 or $6.99, like most magazines. It was $14.99, and I am furious at myself for being taken in like that!

    Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar4:37 AM

    It says it's double size, so that's probably why the double price. I'm waiting for the "winter" issue for a specific article. All these special issues just confuse me.

    ReplyDelete