Monday, August 09, 2010

Knit Camp

No more news, much chatter. The British Yarn website is down. A list of tutors is still available, with all the non-UK names removed. The matter should be resolved today. A long life has taught me that days which ought to bring resolutions often don’t – but it’s hard to see how we could fail to get some news today.

What I want (and lots of others do too) is a solid, informative communication from the organiser – an email to the paying customers, not an oh-my-ears-and-whiskers post to Ravelry. Meanwhile, most of the non-UK tutors must be in the country already. Have they all, like Annie, been economical with the truth on entry? If so, will they be allowed to change their tune and teach? And many campers have begun their journeys, too.

There will be knitters in Stirling this week, whatever happens. Buzzing around perhaps like left-over bees when a hive has been emptied, but it’s likely to be fun. Annie took a picture of a man wearing a kilt.

Knitting

Just at the moment, I’m sick of this fiddly thing.

I’ll take socks with me to Strathardle today. They are always soothing. There will still be plenty of time to finish the baby jacket in Edinburgh next week.

One of Helen’s very-best-friends is in Kirkmichael with her. They were in the north of England somehow or other for a couple of days last week, children and all, and went into an LYS because the friend, who used to knit, thought she might like to start again.

Helen wouldn’t let her buy any yarn until she consulted me. She told me on the phone to bring the new Rowan book, and anything else I thought useful. I’ve chosen Sally Melville’s “The Knit Stitch” and “The Purl Stitch”. Perhaps I’ll add “Knitting Without Tears”.

Fuzzarelly, thank you for the link to the techknit blog (comment yesterday). It’s brilliant, except for the use of “lay” for “lie”. What it seems to amount to, is that p2togtbl is still p2togtbl, but first you realign the stitches. Maybe I’ll try swatching that.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, because it is the single most useful piece of knitting lore I know – for any decrease, the stitch the needle enters first, winds up on top.

So anyway, we’re going to Strathardle today, back at the weekend. Have the “walking onions” come up? What is there to eat? Broad beans, surely. Helen says she’s kept picking the mange-touts, so I hope they're still in production. Salad? Spinach? Potatoes? French beans? Peas? It is all very exciting.

It is wonderful to have the Fishwife back on her allotment. It looks better after a month’s neglect than mine ever does.

2 comments:

  1. Reading on your blog that the most important bit about a decrease is which stitch the needle goes through first was one of the most helpful things in my knitting career. Especially now that I'm working on a couple of design ideas that involve different double decreases used to different effect. I'm much less likely to lose my place in a complicated pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Hello!

    I may be commenting on an "old" post and others may have already tipped you off about Barbara Walkers easier-on-the-fingers-p2togtbl or you may have been using the technique for years!

    If not:

    p2togtbl: p1 and slip it back to LN, pass next stitch over it and off the needle, slip resulting stith back to RN

    And similarly for
    p3togtbl: p2tog and slip resulting stitch back to LN, pass next stitch (to its right) over your stitch and off needle, slip resulting stitch back to RN

    (from B Walker, A Treasury)

    ...oh, and I'm not sure how I ended up here... the mysteries of Ravelry and the web and the saga of the VFK and such...

    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete