Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ribbing finished, and a few rows of plain sock added. That’s that, for now. We hope to go to Loch Fyne for the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of the month, as I must have said. The sock will go along, and the visit will afford, if all goes according to plan, three no-cook evenings, which should speed things forward a good deal. If that doesn’t finish it off, I’ll have another think.

I continue to enjoy thinking about Travelling Stitch, and looking through the stitch books. I wish there were an Eng lang book on the subject – I used to hope that Candace Strick would write one. I was introduced to the subject (and to Candace) by taking her class at Camp Stitches in ’99.

A book isn’t really needed. We’ve got Meg’s pattern, and her invaluable DVD, and the German stitch books which include illustrations of complete garments (and stunning they are). An English book would have little to add, but it would be a comfort. I suppose part of the problem is that the work is so very slow. Knitting up a bookful would take a while.

I found the hat pattern in Woolgathering – it was last year, so that didn’t take long, in the same issue as Cully’s lattice hat which remains on my HALFPINT list.

Miscellaneous

Moorecat, thank you for the preemie size chart. Gosh, they’re small, those little people.

I subscribe to Knitter’s Review, and this morning got this interesting discussion of how to purl 2 tog tbl.

The new IK turned up while we were in London. I like the Jali cardigan a lot, both for the lattice pattern and – even more – for that welted front band. Would it really work? Could it be knit in Posh sock yarn, when my fast ends? The article on buttonholes in this issue might be helpful, too. I’ve never felt entirely happy with my buttonholes.

Non-knit

Thank you, those who visited Mungo’s blog (in sidebar). He’s got a new post up today. Commenting is hard work, I agree. I added myself as a Follower and for some mysterious Eastern Mediterranean reason Blogger has chosen a picture of Mungo’s brother Archie to illustrate me.

Well, we’re off to Strathardle today, with the beans. The forecast – that’s a site James recommended – suggests warmer, from tomorrow. Let's hope so. We should be back sometime in the middle of next week.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Jean, I just took q shawl class from Candace in Connecticut. She's self-publishing a sock book very soon, and will follow with a shawl book. She was a lovely teacher, and I was seduced into buying a kit of her merging colors yarn...... So much for the yarn fast here! But I'm always happy to support real people, and when I can see the connection between the designer and the product, I'm always tempted.

    Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Have you seen this?

    http://www.knitpicks.com/books/Twisted-Stitch_Knitting__D31278.html

    Jeanne lurking in Rochester, NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I have the book Jeanne refers to and heard Meg discuss the book on WonderMike's podcast FiberBeat (first episode). The book is translated from the original German by a native German speaker and is very well written.

    ReplyDelete