Monday, May 10, 2010

It’s still cold – snowing, in fact, in various bits of Scotland this morning. We mean to go to Strathardle this week – but when? It would be nice if the weather would ease a bit, and worth waiting a day or two if the forecast promises improvement.

I put the beans out on the doorstep for a couple of hours yesterday, and they lived to tell the tale.



Compare the picture I took on Thursday and posted on Saturday, and you'll see why I'm anxious about their getting out of hand. The ones in the little coir pots in front are called Cherokee Trail of Tears -- they're supposed to be the beans the Cherokees took along. They're a climbing French-type bean, flat, not pencil-shaped. One or two of them have sent roots through the bottoms of their pots already.

I also reached the toe-shaping of the sock. It feels rather firm – have I been using smaller needles than usual? I should finish today, including Kitchener’ing. Then my husband can try it on and see what he thinks of a shaped instep. I’m glad I chose sober for the auxiliary yarn.



The Future

I am enjoying thinking about what I will buy/do when November comes. Sock-type yarn from Posh Yarn for something loose-fitting and completely simple. And then perhaps attempt Meg’s Bavarian Travelling Stitch cardigan – I’ve got the DVD; I’ve got the books (Bauerliches Stricken in three vols, Omas Strickgeheimnisse in one). That would need a high-twist DK – Ravelry should help.

And I’ve been over there this morning, looking for a preemie pattern for my Games entry. Searching for preemie patterns produces, among them, a few intended as burial gowns. They will be knit and donated, I am sure, with love and sadness, but the idea is also sort of blood-curdling. (A baby can be buried in its best everyday clothes – it doesn’t need a shroud. I think what horrifies and rather frightens me is the idea of planning for a baby’s death.)

I want to do a kimono-style wrap-around thing and will confine myself in future to searching for that with the idea of down-sizing on my own. And I’d better get back to the stash cupboard and start looking for yarn.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:07 AM

    there's a cute baby kimono here
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sachiko-kimono-sweater
    I like that the ties are visible on both sides, also it's knit in worsted so knitting in thinner yarn and smaller needles would downsize it easily?
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, I understand your qualms about planning for a baby's death but having such gowns available can mean so much to new parents who certainly didn't plan on their baby's death.

    Having a lovely gown available means one thing they don't need to take care of in a time of horrendous decisions. It is also quite often comforting that someone (generally a stranger) put so much effort into the gown for their baby.

    I have also seen mention here in the US that such gowns might be given to needy families as a christening gown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean,

    My birth mother makes tiny shrouds for preemies for her local hospital. They're very simply made because the skin of such premature babies is very friable; the staff want to handle the bodies as little as possible. She makes the gowns out of nice fabrics, though, and they can be trimmed with embroidery or lace, and made gender-specific.

    It's a sad thing, certainly, but Allison is right. The nurses can dress the baby's body in one of these little shrouds before the families see them for what is usually the last time. It is a comfort to them to see the baby in a decent garment.

    If you're interested, let me know and I'll get a copy of her pattern and mail it to you.

    ReplyDelete