Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Sorry about yesterday’s gap, especially as I had been looking forward to labelling it “La Fete des Morts”.

Good progress, however, on the knitting fronts. The Christmas Project is moving along nicely, as is the ASJ. For the latter, I had to do 25 more increase rows – that’s 50 long, long rows of knitting – after reaching the neck edge, to get me to the front edge. I’ve done 11 of them. It would be nice to reach 13 today, half-way, before we go off to London tomorrow. Back in the middle of next week, insh'Allah.

Helen C.K.S. will be the one with her finger on the trigger when the deadline comes up later this week for that Vogue Knitting Book I have my eye on. She has nerves of steel, and has acted as my agent on several similar occasions in the past.

If the weather is reasonably cooperative, I’ll take a picture of the ASJ today just lying there, not forced into something approaching its final shape. I’ve just finished a narrow stripe of Envy and am about to go on to a broader one of Roadside Gerry.

I’ve printed out the free pattern for the Claudia hat. Now that we’re actually in November, however, time presses, and I can begin to feel panic at the back of my throat. The Income Tax! The Christmas cards! One thing to be said for these dreadful, dark months – they go by all too fast.

Here’s a question for you:

Take a look at this (November 2), Fleegle’s recent, splendid FO. (I don’t read The Knitter – who’d have thought there’d be a magazine I’d skip? – but I do extravagantly admire Sarah Hatton’s work.) However, the question is this – there was a sleeved shawl in one of the magazines, probably Knitter’s, within living memory. It spent some time on my HALFPINT list before slipping back into oblivion.

Does anyone remember it?

[My notes are better than I thought they were -- I'm thinking of "Sleeves in your Pi", Knitter's, Winter 2000. I haven't looked at it yet.]

I really ought to document the HALFPINT list more carefully. I used to keep notes in my electronic Filofax of interesting patterns in the magazines as they slipped by. I haven't noticed anything worth recording in Knitter's since 2003 but, as you see, I found that useful note on an earlier page.

4 comments:

  1. Fleegle's fabulous sleeved shawl was in a Rowan mag before it appeared in the Knitter, Rowan 45.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments! The Knitter is not very old--I think fewer than two years. I don't get Rowan magazines, so The Knitter was the first place I saw it. If you go to Ravelry, though, there are lots of threads on Sleeves in Your Pi. It's a wonderful way to wear a shawl without it falling off all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar8:37 PM

    I've seen sleeves inserted into round-knitted shawls-sweaters-shrugs, but Fleegle's is the first I've seen that made shoulders in the sleeves so they fit well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reply to Tamar:

    That's because I actually put in short-row sleeve caps. Most of the ones I've seen just go directly to sleeve without a cap.

    ReplyDelete