Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Here we are:

I see from my Lotus Organizer that I started the top edging less than a month ago. The temptation to go on and finish, before I start knitting for the Games, is now very strong. But on the other hand, knitting frantically to a deadline is what I don’t do: and the Games are early this year. The fourth Saturday of August is the 22nd – the earliest possible date.

Decisions. I’ve still got another week of May Princess-knitting before I have to commit myself.

I started my husband’s next pair of socks yesterday, as planned, and got maybe the first inch of ribbing done. I’ll take them along to Strathardle today. When we got home from lunch with my sister-in-law, the mail had been delivered, and there – predictably – was the package of yarn I had ordered. Should I start again, with delicious KF yarn and enough of it to cover the toes?

But then I opened the package, and the question resolved itself. They have sent two balls of KF “Exotic Clay” – funny stripes for some woman, one day – but the three balls of KF “Mirage Twilight” are “to follow”.

Thank you for the help and suggestions on my tentative jabot-knitting project. Anne, I should have thought of Victorian Lace Today at once. I’ve looked at those fichus – we’re certainly moving in the right direction. Jane-Beth, I won’t for the moment take up your most generous and kind offer of the pattern in the bobbin lace book – but we’re thinking along the same lines. If I could examine a jabot and discover its architecture, I ought to be able to do the rest myself. Would I dare nip into Connell Reid, the kiltmakers in Blairgowrie, and ask to inspect one? We’ve spent enough money there in the past.

(And, Fishwife, thank you for the offer of a dependable washing machine man. I will remember for the future. I’m stuck, this time – I paid two months ago, because he had to order the part. I sit here waiting for the doorbell to ring. He promised to be early, today.)

So, we’re off to Strathardle, back here on Sunday, d.v. Has the salsola soda come up? What has happened to my roll-out seed mats? Are the radishes ready for Robin Lane Fox’s pasta dish? You’ll read it here first.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing the Harmony link - I've always admired this pattern when you display a photo of it.

    Good luck with the spring veggies - I hope that they haven't been liberated by the rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean

    Re your comment on a Jabot, I have knitted one in the past from some handspun merino. I knitted a rectangle with a lace pattern of thistles. I put a row of holes 2/3rds of the way and reversed the pattern , I think I may have grafted across here if memory serves me. [ It was over 10 years ago! ] I then could fold down the shorter piece over the top of the longer one forming two layers of lace. I then did a narrow border around the edge to finish. I may be able to dig up a pic. [ On the old computer I think] It should be possible to add a third layer by grafting two instead of one to the bottom piece much as knitting shoulders together.

    Cheers from a freezing cold NZ where I have yet to plant the winter veg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:08 AM

    Jean,your friend Helen @ Chronic knitting Syndrome has an orange knitted scarf looking very like a jabot: orange shred shag (8 May entry). Could that work?
    Erin D

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar5:24 AM

    The standard jabot that I recall (as opposed to the "jabot ascot knot") may be seen here:

    https://www.fashionsthrutime.com/catalog/images/FancyJabotSet1.JPG

    photo of a good jabot

    The structure seems to be just a strip of lace, with the top edge zigzagged down a base piece that hangs from a narrow neckband. Some of the simpler ones are just the simple base piece, made out of a nice lace, but I don't think that's what you are thinking of.

    These instructions were for a doll but at least they are instructions:

    http://vikki.ethernauts.net/bondhowto.html

    "Cut a strip of the same fabric you use to make the shirt. You can fray check the edges so you don't have to seam it. Cut strips of lace about three times as long as the finished jabot will be wide. Make some gathering stitches along the top of each strip using the longest stitch length setting on the sewing machine. Gently pull the threads so the lace bunches up at the top. Sew the gathered lace onto the strip of fabric. Sew the strip into a stand-up collar."

    ReplyDelete