Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lots of achievement yesterday, leaving me feeling by six as if I’d been mowing the grass all day: more bank statements balanced, some ironing done, the scarf for Mrs Obama sent to Denver, Thomas-the-Elder’s socks to Streatham and a birthday present to Beijing.

I’m about half-way down the leg of Cathy’s second sock. I think I’ll go ahead and finish it, even if I haven’t quite achieved that state by midnight on the 31st. The toil up the hill to the post office yesterday afternoon left me near John Lewis’s – I went in and bought yarns that will-have-to-do for the dinosaur sweater, and to hell with it.

Gardening

Good King Henry: I tried it once before, Mary Lou. It’s one of the myriad off-beat vegetables which the books will tell you, “can be eaten like spinach”. See Angel’s interesting comment of yesterday. Well, I can tell you, Good King Henry doesn’t taste very good, eaten like spinach. It didn’t kill us, but it wasn’t very nice. So I pulled it all up. That must have been about ten years ago.

But I’ve decided that I wasn’t patient enough. I never got any flower shoots, and that’s what we’re really waiting for: “poor man’s asparagus”. I don’t know how I would set about “gently forcing” the shoots in the spring, as suggested in the link I’ve provided, but I’ll work on it.

Some unexpected knitting news

There was a story in yesterday’s Scotsman about a proposal to put some of those huge terrifying wind turbines on the Isle of Lewis, on a range of hills called the Old Woman of the Moors which form the view from the Callinish Stones, Scotland’s Stonehenge. It’s a dreadful idea.

But what has it to do with knitting? “Alice Starmore, a tour guide who has lived on Lewis all her life, said…” Clearly the Scotsman has never heard of her, but isn't that likely to be the famous bad-tempered knitting author and designer? Or someone else of the same name? More power to her, whichever.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe that Alice Starmore is from Lewis. Here's hoping her reknowned ability to stick with her way or the highway will help the folks on the island avoid the turbines.

    ReplyDelete