Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wednesday is my weekly osteoporosis-pill day. The instruction is to take it first thing in the morning with a glass of water, and then sit (or stand) upright for half-an-hour, consuming nothing else. It’s a bit of a nuisance, because one reaches bleary-eyed for the kettle first thing on the other six days, and as a consequence I regard that half-hour as peculiarly mine.

Today I spent it working with paper, pen, tape-measure, swatch, and Brown-Reinsel on Theo’s gansey, going for a standard XL size since we forgot to get the tape measure out when he was briefly and happily with us for the Games. And when, the half-hour elapsed, I sat down at the computer – there was a message from Theo with the measurements, taken from a favourite sweater, which is the best way.

They’re a bit less than the XL ones I was using. It won’t be hard to shave something off the edges. The great thing is to have started.

Here’s the current state of the Shawlette. The first skein of cashmere Koigu is finished. There’s not all that much more to do – finish the current eyelet panel, do another six rows of garter stitch. I begin to wonder (since I started with three skeins) whether I’ll have enough left over for a hat.

It’s hard to say. The shawl increases by three stitches every row, so the final panel will consume a lot. But I had a happy hour in Ravelry yesterday looking around – the pattern section really is brilliant – and think I rather fancy this one by Grumperina. We’ll see. I may be a bit disappointed with the colour qualities of cashmere Koigu, but a skein of it is not to be cast lightly aside.

Today’s the day when I’m going to hit the buffers in LibraryThing – I’ll pass the 200 mark, and have to pay. The choice – both seem very modest – is between $5 a year or $25 for life. Not much to choose, in my case, but I think I’ll go for life.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Jean, the shawlette is lovely!! I think you may have enough for G's Odessa Hat ... I knit the Shawletter with Koigu, BC (before Cashmere) and had enough for G's hat .. my head is 22" and I had to rip and and go down needles and size ... but so much depends on personal knitting criteria, eh?

    Also I have been trying to visit Ravelry but can't seem to find the "Guest" entrance. Does one have to sign up to join in order to visit??? Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope, Jean, that your subscription to LibraryThing turns out to be an absolute bargain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bargain for sure! Here in the US you can get a lifetime pass to all the nat'l parks when you reach 62 for $7.00. I love the shawlette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawlette looks lovely (and the colorway similar to the one I used for my Clapotis in KPPPM - are there enough P's there?). I have a few books in LibraryThing and may need to pursue it further when I'm reunited with my the rest of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Come to Ireland for the bargain travel pass when you reach age 66! Hop on and off buses, trains, and ferries and just show your pass. It's really great with the ever increasing amount of traffic making one disinclined to drive, not to mention the passing years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:14 AM

    Jean,

    This is for your commenter Elizabeth above:

    On the Ravelry log in page there is a tab for their blog. Here is what they say that answers your question:

    "To answer a frequently asked question - Yes! Once Ravelry is open, everyone will be able to browse the site. You will not need an account unless you’d like to have your own notebook (for projects, stash, etc), post in the forums, add comments to projects, that sort of thing. Accounts will be *free* and we hope that most of you will want to participate instead of just lurking."

    I am still waiting, 3580 ahead of me.

    Regards,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:23 PM

    I searched for "The Dark of Summer”, by Eric Linklater on Amazon and they want $72.16. Yikes! Is it that good, do you think?

    ReplyDelete