Thursday, March 08, 2007

I think I have decided to go for steeking, on that neckline. I’ll have to take action today or tomorrow.

It’s interesting what you say about shaping, Xmasberry. In fact, EZ does exactly what you suggest (great minds…) in the neckline of the Seamless Yoke Sweater, in KWT: that is, build up the back neck by short-rowing in the neckband itself. A yoke sweater is the same as a raglan until the point where sleeves and body are joined. After that, the decreases are clustered in their own rows, with a couple of inches of plain knitting between each. It reduces to about 40% K for the neck, just like the raglan.

So, couldn’t one use that technique for the raglan? But she doesn’t mention the possibility, and the raglan is in the very next chapter, so I’m wary.

The one comfort is that frogging is not impossible, and now that we’re talking about only a neckline’s-worth of stitches, it’s not even too daunting a prospect. I’m determined to get a decent-looking neckline one way or another.

VKB’s

Our treasures – Sunday’s expensive purchases -- arrived safely yesterday. My friend Helen has the two earlier ones, Nos. 2 and 5. We’re certainly not going to trust the Royal Mail a second time. I will wait patiently and cheerfully until she next happens to be passing.

Meanwhile she has copied out these two delicious paragraphs for us:

From No. 2, spring 1933:

"Practically all the garments in this book are new and really original designs. We hope you will like them, but if you have a weakness for classic cardigans and pullovers, you will find some interesting interpretations in Vogue's 1st Book of Knitting and Crochet. A few copies of this magazine are still on sale at good bookstalls, price 1/6 or 1/9 post paid from Vogue, 1 New Bond Street, London, W.1."


Helen adds, “If only…” At least we now know that the first VKB is labelled “1st”. I had often wondered if I’d recognise it – they might have published something and only later decided to make it the first of a series.

We’re often on New Bond Street when we’re in London, cruising the art dealers. I must have a reverent look at that address next time. Vogue was there right through the war.

Here’s the other, from No. 5:

"£50 or a thrilling holiday abroad this winter! Plan a charming original outfit for yourself or your baby. Choose your colour scheme from Viyella's 100 lovely shades..." 1st prize could be a Cook's Winter Sports holiday, 15 days for two people, value £63.00. 2nd prize could be a Cook's Tour to Italy, 14 days for two people, or £15 in cash. Most interestingly, "If the winner is a blind worker, 5 guineas will be added to each 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize."

Janet (comment yesterday), it would be wonderful if your friend could find some 40’s VKBs. I will happily pay her an average eBay price (that’s a lot, I’m afraid) for any I don’t have, and we could help her offer the others on eBay herself. She could be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Swapna, welcome home!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:40 AM

    I too will look for No. 1 New Bond Street when I am in London next week. I remember what you said after your return from London a few weeks ago - I felt the same when I returned in January. But here I go again. The main purpose of the trip is to see the new grandson.....but, doing non family things is not ruled out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting on the neckband vs pre-neckband shaping. I really should read KWT closely. Makes me wish i had a raglan on the needles to try it out on. But do you think that the reason she didn't mention it for the raglan could just have been that the raglan wasn't patterned whereas the yoke sweater was and so the neckband shaping made more sense there?

    I'm not trying to get you to rethink your steeking, mind you. I am just pondering the possibilities. Looking forward to seeing the results of your work.

    ReplyDelete